Spring Into Verse Day 26 -An IDIOM laced POEM

Today's poem features the prolific use of idiom. A bit of fun, A touch of nonsense and a dash of idiocy. The weather outside is wild and windy in my part of the world today. In my head, it's even wilder. Let's go have some word fun...

CAT’S GOT MY TONGUE- That IDIOM Cat!

Woke up yesterday feeling under the weather
And noticed that the cat had my tongue
We didn’t see eye to eye on that at all                             
I chased the cat all over the house
But the way I was feeling I couldn’t catch a cold
I didn’t want to fly off the handle
And end up on a slow boat to China
So I decided to lay down the law to that crazy cat
But because it had my tongue I had to hold my horses
By now I was on pins and needles
And slowly going bananas
But because I wasn’t born yesterday
I was determined not to put my head in the sand
So instead I put my nose to the grindstone
It was just what the doctor ordered
I began to feel like a million dollars
I cornered that cat in the kitchen
That tongue stealing tabby
Was sitting on the handle of the frypan
Like the cat that had swallowed the cream
Til’ finally it flew off the handle
And leapt from the frying pan into the fire
I picked up my tongue
And couldn’t do a thing wit thit
I was left wondering
Who let the cat out of the bag?

 Alan j Wright


Comments

  1. Hi Alan,
    Wow, how interesting. I loved reading this poem made up of idioms. Idioms are always fascinating. And the way you crafted idims into the poem was just fantastic.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lilly, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lilly, thank you for your thoughtful response. All poets appreciate such feedback. So glad you enjoyed my idiom laden poem. Wordplay is so much fun. It makes the writer feel a bit like a magician. Best wishes...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Action VERBS! Guest Blogger, Elaine Hirsch Returns

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: