Spring Into Verse Day 17 - A bit of Poetry Nonsense

It's fun to create new words and apply them to various situations. I can't imagine Lewis Carroll didn't have a smile on his face when writing his famous poem, Jabberwocky with its numerous invented words:






`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe
All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe.

Well, today's humble poem contains a single invented word. 'Neelywos' but I have written it how I imagine it should be written, and the poem was fun to write. Word play and fun and inventiveness are an integral part of poetry. So, dive in at the deep end and enjoy a little bit of serious silliness and encourage your student poets to follow your lead...

Neelywos

I neelywos a plumber
But that became a drain
I neelywos a pilot
But I found it somewhat plain
I neelywos an author
Things didn’t work out write
I neelywos an electrician
Until I saw the light
I neelywos a juggler
But things got out of hand
I neelywos a singer
The musicians had me banned
I neelywos a lawyer
But my spirit wasn’t willing
I neelywos a dentist
The job was not fulfilling
I neelywos a banker
But it offered little change
So I became a neelywos

Don’t you find that strange ?

Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: