May Days Poems -'A Hiss Of Steam' May 14th

May 14th

The second Sunday in May is Mother’s Day in Australia and so today is dedicated to honouring the role mothers play within families. So this poem is shared in honour of my own mother. Ironing- not so glamourous, but my mother always sang when performing this ritual, so it is a memory that endures. Upon my 21st birthday, she gifted me my very own ironing board. I too sing when I iron...










A Hiss of Steam

Recall my mother

All those eyars ago

In prime position

Behind the ironing board

Steam iron poised

-the trusty Sunbeam

The smell of starch and freshly laundered clothes

Surrounding her.


The iron hisses on cue

She lowers it with care

To make connect with the next

Unsuspecting fresh and wrinkled garment.


My mother launches into song

As an effortless rhythm

Surronds her labours

An unremarkable

Act of love

For her family

Is enacted with a song

And a shot steam.


©Alan j Wright

Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals:

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS