Slice of Life Story Challenge -March 17- Irish Connections

It’s St Patrick's Day! My family has strong connections to Ireland. Generations of both sides of my family came out of Ireland to settle in Australia. I have been fortunate to visit Ireland on two occasions. I hope I get the opportunity to go there again. I have more exploring to do. I have more history to uncover through the Wicklow Valley area in particular.

I sang some Irish songs today as I drove to work. It is a tradition for me to connect to my Celtic roots in this way. If it’s just me and the music, no one can groan.

I sang, Óró, sé do bheatha abhaile (Irish pronunciation: [ˈoːɾˠoː ʃeː d̪ˠə ˈvʲahə walʲə]) a traditional Irish song, that came to be known as a rebel song in the early 20th century. Óró is a cheer, while sé do bheatha abhaile means "welcome home.’ I recall hearing this song sung by legendary Irish balladeers, The Clancy Brothers when I was just nineteen years old and it sent a tingle down my spine. I have been singing this rousing song ever since.

The Clancy Brothers taught me many Irish songs including some Irish children’s songs, which I have sung to my children and grandchildren over the years- whether they wanted to hear them or not! At one time in my musical past, I sang in a coffee lounge where they asked me to sing Irish folk songs. I obliged. They paid me in free coffee and raisin toast. Ah memories…

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

Here are two children's tunes I learned from The Clancy Brothers










Comments

  1. This is a fun way to connect with your roots and keep the tradition alive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the St. Patrick's Day connections and reading AND hearing about family traditions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: