Slice Of Life Story Challenge March 7 -The Writer As Collector


The Writer As Collector

It’s not exactly panic, but I do feel a sense of disquiet if I experience a day where I am afforded little opportunity to write. I an visited by a strong sense of wasted opportunity. I frequently find myself grabbing fleeting moments to scratch out a few words. Before meetings, before the working day commences, wherever, whenever an opportunity presents. I write in cafes, in airports, on beaches. I write late at night, early in the morning. I write...

Even when I am not writing, I am getting ready to write. I am rehearsing my words, mulling over ideas and composing thoughts.

Today however, despite sharing my day with an uninvited head cold, I had a writing kind of day. My notebook pages gave themselves up to my words and ideas. The blank page surrendered to my raw words. It made me further appreciate the joy of being a literate being.




 I wrote a poem based on a recent exchange I heard between a parent and a preschooler.
I enjoyed their conversation so much I imagined what might happen in a particular situation between them.




This piece was based on a recent catch up with these lifelong school friends. While reminiscing I came across this photo of us camping when we were sixteen years old and the memories flooded back.



      
The best books always evoke a response. In this entry it was about noticing and recording my thought processes as a reader.




I took the photograph last Friday while enjoying some time at nearby, Fisherman’s Beach. The shoreline of bubbles and foam effervescing across the sand caught my eye. I immediately wanted to use it as a backdrop for a poem.


So, there you have it. Some of my notebook harvest. Writers are collectors. 












Comments

  1. I am a collector who struggles to maintain a writer's notebook. It causes me a bit of shame. You've given me my next slice. Loved your collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to have assisted in some small way Kimberley...

      Delete
  2. "The blank page surrendered to my raw words." Powerful! I loved the peek into your notebook -- and especially your reflection on the picture of your camping trip with friends. You guys do look tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenniifer. We were rough tough cream puffs if the truth be known.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the pages of your notebook! I love the Custard Cat...exactly like conversations with preschoolers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie, I'm so glad you believe I've captured the vibe of such exchanges. Had real fun writing that one.

      Delete
  4. I so enjoyed this glimpse into your writing life, Alan - you take advantage of every writerly moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tara. This writerly life is somewhat all consuming at times, but I go willingly.

      Delete
  5. This was a nice look into your writers notebook! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos. I love to see what people do in their notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As i'm always telling student writers, -writers share.

      Delete
  6. Having just spent the weekend with my grandchildren, I can relate to the Custard Cat dialogue... so funny and so true. Thanks for reminding me I can find ideas for writing everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanessa, you are absolutely correct, ideas exist everywhere. They are just waiting to be discovered.

      Delete
  7. So fun to peek inside your notebook. I love the picture of you and your lifelong friends trying to look intense. And I felt a little sad that today's youth don't know the freedom of times like this with friends. Your poem - so fun! I can't wait to share it with my book club. My favorite lines from your post: "Even when I am not writing, I am getting ready to write. I am rehearsing my words, mulling over ideas and composing thoughts."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Action VERBS! Guest Blogger, Elaine Hirsch Returns

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals:

Writing Opposite Poems