Slice of Life Story Challenge March 31 - The End Is Often Overrated


The End Is Often Overrated

Teachers are so very familiar with the classroom cry, ‘I’ve finished.’

It provides the perfect opportunity to share the truism that every stop is a place to start.  I’m not about to call out those familiar words. I understand that there are other compelling matters to which I must attend. I am therefore, not finished.



I am not going to write the words ‘The End’ either. Teachers will also be familiar with this practice. Inexperienced student writers often feel compelled to inform their readers in big, bold letters that the end has been reached. I am sure my readers are smart enough to realize that when the words stop that they have reached the end of the piece. Readers understand when the end is reached. It is invariably a happy-sad occasion.

It is however with some sense of relief and a large degree of personal satisfaction that I have reached day 31 of this, my eighth challenge. Professional and personal lives continue to require nourishment and attention while the challenge is in town. The writing never takes place in isolation.  For every participant the daily slice writing must fit in with the demands of our wider lives.

 There is something quite addictive in this process; this annual challenge. Something keeps me drawing me back. I remain a moth to this writing flame, drawn to the task of composing my daily slice of life story.

I recognize what it provides me as a writer, -focus and discipline. It delivers ideas in abundance. More importantly, it gives me community. Audience and feedback inform and sustain the writer within. I am aware writing can be isolating without these critical elements. I embrace the exchanges with fellow writers.

And so, another March is captured in words, words catalogued for future reading.
I have made discoveries, for part of this journey involves exploring self. I have also been able to learn of common incidents by reading into the lives of fellow writers. These shared experiences allow me to contemplate and connect, despite our geographical differences. It reinforces the fact that treasure frequently resides in embracing the moment.

Thank you fellow SLICERS for your valued feedback! Thank you for the chance to share respective writings. Thank you for sharing through your writing so much of yourselves, as you go about living your fulfilling lives. I gain insights and inspiration from your respective lives

Congratulations and sincere thanks to the team at Two Writing Teachers for presenting this challenging and compelling quest. I feel a sense of commitment each day to my fellow writers.  

There are always discoveries to be made in the words, phrases, ideas and optimism residing in the attitudes of our fellow citizens of the world. To hear of common experiences, to hear of wonder and curiosity, to hear of empathy, excitement, sadness and joy connects and sustains us all.

Write on, fellow slicers!

‘Do it all with a willing heart
Every stop is a place to start.’

Jimmy Buffett
La Vie Dansante






Comments

  1. Wow! Eight years! It is addictive. Glad I did it too. Wish I could have read more posts. Thank you for your lens on writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julieanne. The addiction continues...

      Delete
  2. Congrats on 8 years! I'm a first time slicer and have to agree that there is something truly compelling about the challenge both in the writing demands and the feedback and commenting. I appreciate your summary of the experience. You captured the community and challenge well and with great sincerity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your generous comments. Congratulations on your participation too.

      Delete
  3. 8 years is quite an accomplishment! Kudos to you! This is my second year and participating this year was even more rewarding than last year. What a month! I loved this line from your slice: "I remain a moth to this writing flame, drawn to the task of composing my daily slice of life story." Thank you for sharing your experiences this month and your thoughts on writing today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly. I have enjoyed your contributions equally. May you continue to thrive as a writer.

      Delete
  4. Your words always inspire me! Your post from yesterday inspired a great deal of my post from today. Happy 8 Years of Slicing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As always Michelle, you are generous in your remarks. Thank you for the contribution you make to our community of writers and educators.

      Delete
  5. So glad we have shared this for 8 years, my writing friend. Loved your contributions here and to my video!!!
    Thanks,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, it remains a pleasure to share the writing road with you. your work in supporting fellow writers is acknowledged and applauded.

      Delete
  6. Yes - it is addictive! I always enjoy stopping by to read your slices. Thank you for reminding me that this is a beginning, not an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori, feel free to drop by anytime. May your writing experience continue to provide joy and revelation.

      Delete
  7. Your words are always a welcome treat for my eyes and mind. You and Bonnie are inspiring long term participants. Every year I wonder if I can do it again, and so far I have. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, thank you for your continued support and inspiration over this journey. May you continue to find joy in your life as a writer. Take care out there...

      Delete
  8. It's always such a delight to land on your blog and read about your writing process and the commitment you bring to living life twice through this endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, you continue to present as a reflective learner. I appreciate your comments and look forward to seeing what captures your attention. Thank you as always.

      Delete
  9. Whenever I visit your blog you give a gift of thoughts and words. You inspire. Yes, every stop is a place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most kind Terje. Thank you for once again sharing the month of March. Happy times writing...

      Delete
  10. You put into words exactly how I feel! You really do have a way with words that reaches deep within my soul. Thank you for that. I also love your pictures of your writer's notebook. Lately, all my writing has been with a keyboard and a screen. I really would like to get back to pen and paper. Congrats on 8 years! Until next time...

    aggiekesler.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aggie, your remarks are most kind. I wish you well in your desire to return to the romance of pen and paper. Like you I write on different platforms, but retain a love of the traditional pen and paper. Feel free to return any time you like...Be well out there.

      Delete
  11. Alan,
    The idea that the stop is a place to start resonated with me. I want to keep the writing going...thanks for your thoughtful post on the beginning at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I have little doubt you will sustain your writing output. You present as a life long writer. I'm glad you liked my last post. I am constantly reminding myself that as I end something, I must look for a new beginning. Best wishes.

      Delete
  12. Eight years now that is an accomplishment and definitely true to your words that you are not writing the end because you continue on! Your words are encouragement for me to continue on even beyond the challenge. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eight years now that is an accomplishment and definitely true to your words that you are not writing the end because you continue on! Your words are encouragement for me to continue on even beyond the challenge. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Action VERBS! Guest Blogger, Elaine Hirsch Returns

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals:

Writing Opposite Poems