Slice of Life Story Challenge March 12 Food For Thought



I have become a willing disciple of Yotam Ottolenghi, an Israeli-born cookery writer and chef. Born in Jerusalem he now lives in London.
Last September I had the good fortune to visit his restaurant in Islington, London. It was an experience that has greatly influenced my culinary  endeavours since that time. I purchased Ottolenghi's book, 'Jerusalem' before I even left the restaurant in London, such was my admiration for the quality of the food I had eaten.

Ottolenghi’s cooking style borrows from his Middle Eastern upbringing employing Middle Eastern flavours– with a western twist. His salads in particular have incredible textures and flavours that are bold and memorable.

 The freshness of the ingredients, combined with the knowledge that the food we are eating is healthy, has driven my efforts in the kitchen to new levels. I am braver. I am more a confident cook following a summer of delving into my new book. 

As recently as last evening I made an Ottolenghi inspired salad to accompany our barbecue.  It comes from another of his books, 'Plenty.'  

Fig Salad with  Crumbled Goats Cheese
1 tsp finely chopped or grated shallot
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp pomegranate molasses
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus extra to finish
Mix the above ingredients into in a sauce and then pour over the basil and rocket leaves. Season with salt and pepper. 
Spread the leaves evenly on a plate then place the figs evenly on top before spreading the goats cheese over the top of the figs. Sprinkle with a drizzle of olive oil and serve.

20grams of basil leaves
30 grams of rocket
6 figs, cut into quarters lengthwise 
70 grams of fresh goat cheese crumbled

I'm biased, but it always gets a great response.


Comments

  1. Sounds really yummy as I love all the ingredients except I am not familiar with "rocket"...I will have to look that one up! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds incredible! I have never seen pomegranate molasses, is there something comparable to that?
    For anyone who doesn't know, rocket leaves are arugula. That was new learning for me when we visited Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pomegranate molasses is a new ingredient for me. Usually I bypass the figs, but maybe...... hope I'm not allergic!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Action VERBS! Guest Blogger, Elaine Hirsch Returns

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals:

Writing Opposite Poems