Slice of Life Story - A Message From The Heart

In recent days two male friends have suffered heart attacks. One has had a reprieve and is now confronting the challenge of revamping his lifestyle. He is staring down his own mortality and is aware he is no longer draped in the ragged cape of infallibility.
My other friend had no such opportunity; his vital spark was sadly extinguished in an instant; the way the wind snuffs out a candle flame. He died playing tennis, something he loved to do. We spoke only last weekend at our favourite coffee haunt, Via Boffe and discussed the need to catch up and share a meal and a glass of wine, sooner rather than later…

Both my friends had a genetic predisposition towards heart disease. Both had warning signals along the way and made changes. Those changes weren’t enough to spare them it seems.

We are all born with a set number of days to spend on this earth. The lifestyle choices we embrace and our particular genetic make up, determine in most instances, how it all turns out.


These sobering events remind me that we should savour the small moments in our lives with family and friends. Critical to this is the issue of work / life balance, a matter we should consciously monitor. The work monster lurks out there. It is a beast we must control.

My heart and my head are in a state of emotional upheaval today following a night spent reflecting on these events. I have been slapped by reality. This is not something peculiar to me. At regular intervals we all receive unsubtle reminders of the fragility that surrounds living. We should not be complacent. Stay well, live well.

Comments

  1. Such sadness and such a reflective post, too. This seems to me to be one of those times when writing can help ease the heart, Alan. I am sorry for the loss of your friend but agree that balance in life, given the limited number of days for all of us, is crucial.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss and am inspired by how you are processing through it. You are so right about the work monster and the need to enjoy every day doing what we love. Fortunately for me, that work monster is part of who I am and what I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful post, Alan. It really made me think about the stress I feel at work sometimes -- and how to just let it all go. I came home and took a long walk in the woods...
    Thanks, T-Dawg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan, I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. I know this post must have been heavy for your heart to write, but in the same breath therapeutic. It's moments like this that makes us remember what is important in life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As others have already said, I was sorry to hear about your friends.

    SOLS are a great way to savor the small moments. I know that the work/family balance is one that I struggle with all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "savour the small moments in our lives with family and friends" Good advice, Alan. Those moments are before us, we do have to stop and acknowledge them though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for the loss of one friend and the suffering of another. Thank you for bringing us in with this quiet, reflective post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about the losses you've suffered Alan. Your advice is poignant and well-taken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's probably great timing to be slicing this month Alan, with a community to share with.
    Glad to be with you again,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Action VERBS! Guest Blogger, Elaine Hirsch Returns

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: