Slice of Life Story - The Not SoTrivial Pursuit of Trivia


Trivia intrigues me…



I find it incredibly engaging. Sometimes it overwhelms my thinking and I begin to ponder how it came to be that someone made the discovery of that particular piece of information. I sometimes wonder why anyone would bother seeking the answer to some seemingly insignificant fact in the first place. Human curiosity appears to be a common thread. My notebooks are dotted with such trivial facts. For example, American novelist Mark Twain was the first known author to submit a typed manuscript.


Each day I hear or read something trivial that engages my mind. Today I read that if you spray antiseptic spray on a polar bear, its fur turns purple. Now that set my mind to thinking…


How was this trivial fact discovered? Was a germo-phobe wandering aimlessly in the Arctic wilderness holding a bottle of antiseptic spray and suddenly by chance encountered a stray bear? This is obviously a baffling bear fact!


My dear wife Vicki is baffled not so much by trivia but more the fact that I bother to ponder such matters. ‘Why do you fill your head with such things?’


Hmm...

Comments

  1. I'm with Vicki! There' s so much else that we have to deal with. But each to his/her own, Alan,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm terrible when it comes to trivia. (I always lost at Trivial Pursuit too.) However, I have always had a deep respect for people who can remember lots of facts!
    SAS

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Action VERBS! Guest Blogger, Elaine Hirsch Returns

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: