Slice of Life Tuesday: T Shirt Stories And Other Glories



Ideas exist in things are words  frequently resounding in my head...
 It's a constant reminder to look carefully at the things that surround my daily existence, for they possess much potential for writing stimulation.

A conversation with a long time friend has given rise to things we collect and tend to hang onto. He told me he had several suitcases filled with old t-shirts he had acquired across the years. His wife regularly implores him to throw them out, but sentimental attachments has made this an unpalatable thing to contemplate. She has suggested he take photos of them and then throw them out. Heaven forbid, he replies.

This has given me the spark of an idea. I have suggested he write a book of t-shirt stories, or set up a photographic exhibition using his favourite fifty tees. It is obvious there is some potential in these archived garments. However, my suggestions have failed to garner much support or indeed action.

On the other hand, I found myself beginning to ponder further on these ideas. Particularly in this time of physical distancing, where time in solitude provides fertile ground for thinking and being creative. 

So, I have given myself this Covid Project. I have chosen three of my own t-shirts with the aim to share the backstory of each of them. 

It reinforces the idea that inanimate objects as well as clothing items hold a capacity to attract memories. I have chosen t-shirts because I have an extensive collection- not as large as my friend's collection, but extensive enough to provide me ample choice. 

I could have chosen any wardrobe staple for the purposes of this writing task- any collectable for that matter. Think- shoes, hats, ties, scarves, shirts. Basically any item around your house that come in multiples would lend itself to this writing idea, unless of course, you are a devotee of Marie Kondo, the Japanese organizing consultant.

 Go for a walk around your house and see what you can find. Have fun rummaging and writing...


I bought this t-shirt after attending a concert at Madison Square Garden in New York City, not long of arriving there to work as a Literacy Consultant. I have never been a concert with such an incredible line up of modern recording artists. It was a unique entertainment experience, sitting through three hours of amazing performances. The pinnacle of my music memories.



I have been fortunate to visit Vietnam on two occasions. The most recent visit was a thirty day exploration of this geographically unique country from the northern border with China to meet the hill tribes of Sapa. We then travelled all the way down to Chau Doc the southern border with Cambodia. In between time was spent in Hanoi, Hue, Danang, Hoi An, My Son and Ho Chi Min City discovering Vietnamese food, history and culture. We travelled down the mighty Mekong River and saw so much that expanded our view of the world. In the world heritage city of Hoi An, I purchased this t-shirt as a reminder of these inspiring days of travel and time spent among friendly, inviting people. Travel repays us with stories. 


I enjoy designing my own t-shirts and this is one I created early in the journey. It remains a favourite. I have about eight original t-shirt designs in my collection. It is something that is both stimulating and enjoyable. They provoke questions and conversation about writing and poetry. It is good that people are curious about where the particular t-shirt came from. Kids often ask if they can get one. It's always pleasing to hear that...

So, there you have three of my t-shirt stories. What stories lie hidden among your collectables? What memories have attached themselves? I might explore my various writer's notebook and their histories, for each of them has a unique story of acquisition. I could explore my vast collection of poetry books. Stories abound in such things... 

Comments

  1. Much as the spice challenge story, I love the call to action. I do need a Covid-19 project. I follow Colby Sharp on Twitter. He wore all of his t-shirts in subsequent days of online teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it is a call to action. As writers we need to remain active in our thinking and behaviour and as ideas are a lifeblood, we must be constantly alert to possibility. I like the idea of wearing a different t-shirt for each day of on line activity. I tend to do that with my You Tube videos as well.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea! I also am reminded how stories connect us because in each of your t shirts stories I saw connections I could make to my own life. As someone who moves often I have to be so mindful of what I collect, which is haaaard for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it Erika and I'm pleased you have made your own connections. Go forward and write! Best wishes.

      Delete
  3. What perfect timing this is, as I've just added several new T-shirts to my wardrobe (a friend designs them). One is Harry Potter themed: "This is getting Riddikulus." I must contemplate T-shirt stories. So true how stories abound in ordinary things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, I'm pleased that the timing is fortuitous. Hope you find your inspiration in these new purchases.

      Delete
  4. What a great idea, Alan. I have a stack of tees from my seven years in Bahrain. I planned to keep them to make a t-shirt quilt when I retire as a memory of my time here. Perhaps I will dig them out and write some slices of my life based on them.

    I really like your poet's suitcase t-shirt design. That's cool that you've had the chance to design so many t-shirts. I bet that is rewarding to have kids ask about obtaining one.

    Warmly,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind remarks Denise. The quilt idea adds even more life to the tale of the t-shirt. You're right about the responses of kids. They remain curious regarding my various t-shirts. I can see them examining them and their minds ticking over before they ask as to how they came to be. They do the same with book cover designs.

      Delete
  5. This is an inspirational idea for writing memories. I have a few t-shirts that hold special meaning for me. Last year I finally made a t-shirt quilt for my son using his old high school tees when he was active in Student Council, BETA Club, etc. He graduated high school 15 years ago so the quilt brought back many memories for us. He left many of his college tees but I don’t know the stories behind those. I need to encourage him to write about them. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind remarks Pat. It sounds like you have much rich history to mine too, both for your son and yourself. Happy delving. May the stories be captured.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see your memories about t-shirts. Your all t-shirts are looking very nice. I always like to wear literary themed t shirts which I order from Caffeine and Curses online store.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Action VERBS! Guest Blogger, Elaine Hirsch Returns

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: