The Sound Of Music In Our Writer's Notebooks

I have recently been working with two groups of young writers in my capacity as Writer in Residence at a local primary school. Among these writers I have discovered writers who are experimenting with the writing of song lyrics. One writers has brought himself a new notebook solely for the purpose of capturing his emerging lyrics. He has another notebook dedicated to the collecting of stories and observations. I love how he recognized this need for specialization in his writing.

Two others writers have been collaborating on the writing of song lyrics and have also put some of their words to music at home. These writers are making decisions regarding their personal writing projects and their sense of agency and volition is being revealed to theeir fellow writers. 

Their focus upon writing lyrics and using dedicated notebooks has reminded me of a special notebook I was given as a gift. A notebook clearly designed to celebrate music in all its forms. The deliberate and intentional focus of this small notebook, challenged me to think about how I would respond as a writer. I began to think about my personal history with music. It was immediately apparent that music has been a constant in my life. Music has left its mark on me for as long as I can recall. Since receiving this special notebook I have been attempting to chart my personal music history. It remains a work in progress.  

Prompted by the efforts of these young writers, I shared my own musical manuscript with them in our most recent session. I hope by sharing I am validating their own musical pursuits.

Throughout this notebook, pages are periodically marked with musical quotations. One in particular set me to thinking. The quotation, attributed to German writer and poet, Heinrich Heine simply states, ‘When words leave off, music begins.’


From personal experience this maxim has always been borne out. Words and music locked in an embrace. At times they have co-existed, working in splendid synchronicity and feeding off each other’s special energy. During my writing history I have written three musicals along with the lyrics for more than twenty songs. Words and music have been the oxygen that sustains me. A day without either leaves me feeling depleted, incomplete.


So, I have embraced the challenge of this notebook most willingly. My journey with words and music is a refrain I wish to record. This notebook is providing the perfect impetus for undertaking this personal writing project. It is for me a celebration of a sweet melody –a musical memoir of sorts.




Extract:

‘My love of music has been further fuelled by listening to the radio as a small boy. I thrived on the songs bursting forth from the Bakelite box sitting on the mantel piece. Even the meagre offering of the hit parade once a week was bliss to my keen ears. I hung out for the weekly countdown of the eight most popular songs of the week. This soon expanded into the Top 40 and I found myself in musical heaven. Such was the extended countdown that Sunday afternoons (as it was back then) could be easily devoted to listening to the entire countdown of songs.’

‘Our house was filled with numerous musical offerings. My father sang to us regularly and his catchy songs became ingrained in my musical lexicon. I later passed them onto my children and then my grandchildren. These songs have endured. Dad also played the harmonica. In time I got one too, but I couldn’t control it in the same assured way he could. When he played I could easily recognize the tune. My particular sounds were more closely aligned to laboured breathing. To have a dad who both sang and played music was a joy. He was a somewhat private man, shy in fact. His music was only ever shared with his family. No public performances were ever part of the deal. Upon reflection, this makes the memories just a bit more precious. Providing a small glimpse behind the public face of a quiet and private man, who nonetheless found a way to share his love of music.’

So, my little musical notebook is reviving the music so intrinsically connected to my journey -some of it quite ancient. There are still many verses to add. I am looking forward to singing their praises. Ah, words and music, enabling me to create a little harmonic history. Feel free to join me in the chorus?

And if music has not been an essential part of your journey, maybe there's something else that been there all this time that deserves some recognition...

Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals:

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Some Reflections On The Teaching of Writing