Where Do You Write?

In my many conversations with teachers, the subject often turns to writing beyond the classroom. I urge both the teachers and their young writers to write beyond those four walls. -Write around the school, and weather permitting occasionally write outside of the classroom. Write at home. 



Make a conscious effort to write somewhere else, somewhere different and see what it brings to your writing experience. Taking the time to write in a different location allows a broader range of sensory elements to influence your mind, your writing. 

Consider your notebook as a travelling companion. Tuck it under your arm and write in wild, unfamiliar spaces. Actively challenge the notion that writing is something we just do at school.  Make it a form of portable magic, just like reading. Let's re-imagine writing as a free-range activity!


Some writers need a special place to write. They can only write in that space, that particular location -by the sea, in the mountains, in a cottage beside a lake. I am fortunately not limited in that way.

Some writers need absolute quiet, even the ticking of a clock becomes a distraction.



I am lucky. I have many special places to write. I can plonk myself down pretty much anywhere and write. The beach, the park, the airport, a cafe, or leaning against a tree are all places I have found myself at one with the harvesting of words.

Noisy crowded places do not inhibit my writing intentions either. I can isolate my thoughts among the sound and movement surrounding me. It has developed with practice. I can use such sensory stimulation to launch a writing piece. In this scenario, it becomes a welcome intrusion until I choose to shut it out and compose my thoughts. 

As long as I have my notebook (nearly always within arm’s reach) a book to read and a trusty pen (Uniball Black Impact Gel/Lamy Fountain Pen ) I am set to go. Preparation is imperative.

I do not need to compose at a dedicated altar of creativity, surrounded by totems. Mind you, as I sit here in my study, an air of sanctuary pervades this personal space. 

In this space there is ample support around me -books, artefacts, ephmera and photographs, on call to stimulate writing thought and action, but it is not my sole creative space.

I once read that American author, Thomas Wolfe wrote standing up in his kitchen. Wolf, a rather tall man chose to write on the top of his refrigerator apparently. It suggests the wrong place to write is a place in which you don’t feel comfortable.

When a writer feels comfortable the words are more likely to flow. Let’s face it, if you really want to write, you will keep searching until you find a space that suits you.







Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Teaching the Developing Writer the Benefits of Rereading

Moving Student Writing From the Notebook to Publishing

Slice Of Life Story-The Trials Of A Left Handed Writer

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing