Storytelling As A Precursor To Writing

 I am constantly pondering the art of storytelling...

One of the continuing 'narratives' of my work in schools has been to promote the idea of writers as storytellers. I have always been a person who enjoys sharing stories and jokes, whether from first-hand experience, or relating stories gifted across a lifetime. These stories have greatly informed my writing.


I always encourage developing writers to tell their stories, too. It is a rehearsal tool for the inexperienced writer. Telling their stories before they write not only eliminates the notion of cold starts, it frequently results in a much enhanced end product. The story is well established in the inexperienced writer's mind before it emerges on the page.

Often, a writer's story may be told many times before it emerges as written words. I often tell my stories numerous times before I commit them to the pages of my notebook.  It is in the telling of the story the words are refined, sharpened. Ultimately, it is the reader who benefits from the repeated telling of the story. Each of us has stories unique to our experience. It would seem folly not to see value in sharing them.

I once had a student comment about a story her class frequently requested me to tell, called 'The Kiss.' She noted that I had told that story a couple of times, but 'Have you ever written it down? She asked. I had the sudden realization that this particular story had evaded my notebook. I thanked her and soon set about rectifying the situation. 

Initially, I wrote it as a memoir slice. Then I made the decision to rewrite it as a narrative poem. It eventually found its way into my poetry anthology, 'I Bet There's No Broccoli On The Moon.' A long journey from true story to published poem and all prompted by a timely question from a listener.
 
As a consequence of my penchant for storytelling, curious learners frequently ask, 'Is that story true?' My answer is often short, simple and mostly, 'Yes.' For I consider myself a teller of stories, and in order to be a storyteller, I must practice being a close observer of the world around me.

I tell them,'Each of us have stories to tell and like all things, we improve our telling through practice.'

The stories I tell these young and impressionable writers contain a dose of factual content - necessary facts. Facts that anchor the story, provide credence and instil confidence in the listener. I also add a dash of spice in the form of hyperbole (just a pinch) to heighten engagement as well as encouraging, (often at my own expense) a little laughter. In my stories, I confront the twin imposters of triumph and defeat. My stories visit the mud and the flowers.  

Because memory is imperfect, my stories are my reclaimed truths. Sometimes they rise up like ghosts of varying transparency, depending on their relative age. Occasionally, I feel compelled to change the names of certain people in order to protect identities and respect privacy. On other occasions, I choose to omit a few details. Details that might offend an impressionable audience. 

Sometimes stories are connected to 'things.' Artifacts, treasure, keepsakes and ephemera have a backstory that can also be unpacked and shared with others. We should regularly alert students to the potential existing in such physical things. People and places are strongly connected to stories as well. 

We do well to remember, storytelling is an art that requires regular practice. It possesses all the elements of written narrative - beginning, middle and end. Telling our stories increases our humanity in the eyes of our impressionable and curious learners. It is another thing we must model in order for them to feel comfortable telling their own stories.







Comments

  1. Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!
    vstmania.co
    32 Lives Crack

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: