Sharing Our Learning Stories

 

Every learner- teacher or student needs to be conscious of their innate ability to learn and grow. The mindful awakening of awareness regarding the immediate world in which each learner operates unleashes the potential to develop further as learners, thinkers, readers and writers.

The late Donald Graves wrote, 'The more I reveal a student's potential, the more I discover my own potential as a teacher.' 

Graves believed such matter were inseparable. From this, the notion of  teachers sharing their individual learning stories within the classroom lays a sound foundation upon which both the teacher and the impressionable learner can raise expectations while sharing the learning journey. The sharing of learning stories provides the inexperienced learners with a model and a pathway to follow.

When teachers are aware of what they have learned, the more likely they are to challenge and continue extending their personal knowledge. This frequently leads them to direct their energies and work with a higher level of intensity and satisfaction. The more a student's potential is factored in the more likely we are to witness progress.

Our own learning stories involve such things as:

  • How we gather and identify topics and ideas we wish to write about. 
  • How we choose just right books. 
  • Our processes for solving problems. 
  • Our attitude to revision and editing. 
  • How we rehearse and think about writing
  • Our successes and failures and lessons learnt.

Many of my learning stories involve  ways in which my writer's notebook helps me harvest ideas that spark my further writing across a range of genres. I reinforce its important role in making me a better observer of the world.  I constantly reiterate how my notebook is constantly close at hand just in case an idea reveals itself to me. I do these things in a mindful way. I want young writers to enjoy the full benefit of this writer's resource in the same way I do. 

I share books I am reading, explaining how authors I admire inspire me to greater efforts through their wonderful words. I give reasons for my reading choices.

Learning stories feature strongly in my teaching. I regularly invoke stories from my own learning journey I believe might assist the less experienced writers to gain insight. I want my experience as a reader, writer and curious learner to deliver an impact in the minds of impressionable students. I want to influence attitude and approach. I want my most pertinent insights to deliver a sense of confidence and ease. I want my shared experience to encourage enthusiastic engagement. Above all I want to forge a path over may follow as learners. My credibility lies in having walked the path these young learners are now encountering.

One story I share comes from an older more experienced writer, Morris Lurie, who suggested to me over thirty years ago, I should always read my written words aloud before sharing them with others. He advised me to listen to them as if I were a reader, not the writer. Such a great piece of advice. 





To this day, I practice this. It is embedded in my practice. So, when I meet young writers this is a learning story I consciously share. I invite them to practice this strategy and let me know what they discover. I ask them to read their special words to the walls and windows before bringing them to the meeting area for share time. I tell them that reading your words to yourself is an act of respect to your readers. Talk about impactful- they pick up omissions, repeated words, semantic errors, spelling errors. These quick edits help the sharing process to go more smoothly, more successfully. There is personal ownership in being able to enact such important writing actions. 

Think about your personal learning stories. Reflect upon their impact and consider sharing the most pertinent. I have met former students who relate some of the learning stories I told them -way back in my career. They tell me they are now sharing them with their own children. That's good enough for me...





Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: