Writers Make Observations

UPDATED February 2023


Every now and then I witness something that is just a little outside the norm. To someone else it may not register in this way, but for me it strikes a chord that says Hey, you don’t see that all the time. 

 Whilst having a coffee in my hometown Mornington and indulging in a healthy slice of people watching, I noticed a woman at a nearby table who at first glance appeared to be a sporty type, dressed as she was in sports shoes, lycra cycling shorts and wearing a weather proof dayglo jacket. I thought she was either a walker, or a gym junkie. 

Then I noticed that she was working her way through an enormous slab of cheesecake, which seemed a little incongruous, given my initial appraisal. Then to add to my confusion I noticed she was reading a comic. Not something you see all that often. But, it wasn’t just an ordinary comic, oh no. This cheesecake eating, athletic looking, middle aged female was reading a Phantom comic. She was a fan of the ghost who walks. 

This behaviour fell way outside the group norm. The ghosts of my own childhood reminded me that I stopped reading Phantom comics at approximately twelve years of age. It was a reminder that we should always expect the unexpected. I should have investigated further. Maybe she was wearing a phantom ring? Sometimes a simple observation can trigger a strong connection...

The writer within was now well nourished with potential writing ideas...

 Observation is an art requiring practice. Regular practice. However, it is then incumbent on the writer to make use of those observances and allow them to impact and improve their written work. I support my sometimes inefficient memory of such experiences by having my writer's notebook handy wherever I go. This allows me to jot down my gathered observations knowing I can expand them, or apply them to my writing projects at some future point. That's re-assuring. 

We need to make a point of encouraging young, inexperienced writers to hone their obervational skills by sharing our own process as observant writers. Let's help them to cast their gaze a little wider, a little longer and a little more mindfully. In that way the writing they produce will prosper. 







Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: