Making The Write Start in 2016 Part 2 -First Notebook Entries


The first  notebook entry is most important…

It might be a letter to one’s self about what you intend to do as a writer. John, a fifth grader wrote the following poem as his initial entry.


It’s a Place

Why am I keeping this notebook?                                                                                                                          

Because it’s a place where I can keep track of my life                                                                                                                                                    
It’s a place where I can observe closely and where I can store little pieces of strength                                                                                                                
It’s a place where I can keep the elements of my life                                                                                

(Lightning, fire, ice, time and space)                                                                                                                      

And Writing (poetry, words, stories)                                                                

It’s a place where tales weave                                                                                                                                                      
All in all                                                                                                                                                                                                   
It’s a place for ME.




The first notebook entry might be prompted by an artifact or a significant piece of ephemera. Remember, you can set the tone and the expectation with the very first notebook entry.

You could ask each student to collect a piece of ephemera, or a photograph to be on page one of their notebook and write from this place.  

Other possible starting points :

  • The story behind their first name or family name (significance, history).
  • Lists. They can provide the launching pad for a series of writing ideas.
  • Questions and wonderings.
  • Treasure Trove. Collect magazine pictures, words, headlines and have students select, connect, talk and write about one of the items they consider to be treasure.
  • Lifting a line from a text and use that line to launch a notebook entry. The line can be used anywhere within the writing piece, -beginning, middle, end.
  • Another way to begin your writer’s notebook might be with a statement of intent:


‘My writer’s notebook will be filled with my thinking. Really filled. I want my notebook to be brimming with collected thoughts and ideas. I will share my thinking in words and sometimes in sketches. I will share what is important to me, what I notice, what I hope for, what I hear, what I read and what I learn. All these things I will gather in my notebook. This is the place all my writing will begin, -stories, poems, reports and opinions. I will collect poems, stories, quotes, extracts and favourite words and phrases. I will post in photographs and pieces of ephemera to act as memory markers. I will fill my notebook with all those things that inspire me to write. Maps, drawing, words and images all together in this very special notebook. A notebook containing the treasure I never want to forget.’



There are many ways to begin. Writers make decisions. Choose a way that suits you and your students. Exposure to a range of possibilities will ensure every writer successfully leaves the launch pad in an exciting way. 









Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals:

Writing Opposite Poems