Spring Into Verse Day 23 - Free Verse Moment


There is no set formula for writing free verse poems. What you say and how you say it may fall easily into place one day, but the next time it may prove to be a challenge. Today's poem came to me walking on Union Street in Brooklyn during our first year living and working in New York City. I tried to capture the moment, the scene. 


CHICKEN BONES AND DEAD UMBRELLAS


Walking on Union Street
It's a wet, wild, windswept day
The sidewalk-
Shiny and slippery

The last of the golden fall leaves
Lie plastered to the sidewalk

A squelchy carpet
For me to trudge over
In my sturdy leather boots

Amid the leaves I spot chicken bones
And a dead umbrella.


Alan j Wright

Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals:

Writing Opposite Poems