Spring Into Verse, Day 2 -LUNES

About ten years ago, while consulting with a Brooklyn school situated near the Naval yards, I met an author by the name of Jack Collom. Jack had written a book with Sheryl Noethe titled,'Poetry Everywhere' (Teachers & Writers Collaborative.2000) and on that day was sharing some of his poetry experiences with students. It just so happened that I was carrying with me that day, my copy of the book, and Jack graciously signed it for me. 

Jack and Sheryl's book introduced me to 'LUNES' -a simple three line poetry form, providing probationary poets with lots of word fun. Lunes have just the right amount of challenge for young poets, and a supportive structure to encourage the writer to be brave. 

First line -3 words
Second Line - 5 words
Third Line - 3 words (usually with a twist or unexpected outcome)

Unlike it's ancestor, the haiku, it counts words not syllables, and it is not confined to nature or the seasons. It just needs eleven well chosen words, and the possibilities are open ended. In such a short poetry form, every word gets the chance to shine brightly. 

Since being introduced to Lunes, I heard found myself using them on a regular basis. My notebooks have many examples of these playful poems. I have shared them with young writers, Grade 1 and upward. Great fun with words for all of us...



Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Action VERBS! Guest Blogger, Elaine Hirsch Returns

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: