Where Do Writers Go In The Summer?

Where have I been? Well, to put it simply, I have been living my writerly life! The summer break has afforded me the time to read, write and live my writing life to it fullest.

I was fortunate to be given a small journal by a teacher I worked with last year and I made a decision that this notebook would be used to capture the summer of 2010- 2011. I guess you could call it my Summer Notebook. I still added entries to my other notebook, but I wanted to use my summer notebook to write more exclusively around the essence of the summer season. I started out with the aim of filling every page, but I seriously underestimated the number of pages, and the time at my disposal. Still, I am well pleased with the entries I have, and can see much potential for more extensive writing from my summer ‘catch.’ Entries cover a wide range of summer experiences including,- whooping cough, Christmas, tourists, butterflies, cicadas, beach etiqutte, movies, making Anzac biscuits and so on...

I have come to more fully appreciate the value of my iphone. Each day I have set my myself the challenge of capturing an image from the day and adding it to my summer snaps. I will eventually use these photographs to create a digital story of my summer experiences.  The photographs act as a stimulus for my daily notebook entries as well. It’s amazing what captures one’s attention. From something as simple as a crack in the footpath, to a piece of stencilled art at the base of a wall, to a sailing vessel at anchor in the bay –all good fodder for the writer who wants to live in the moment and later in retrospect.

I have not been neglecting my reading life either. The summer reads are often the most satisfying. Lazing about with a good book is a respectable summer pastime.


A morning by the creek-butterflies and buddleias.

Something of an underperformer this summer!

A morning walk and a discarded dummy. Accidentally ropped or did somebody actually 'spit the dummy?'
To top off my writing life, I have been completing the final edits to my manuscript, ‘Igniting Writing, - When A Teacher Writes due for release, hopefully in February. My anticipation builds…

So as the new school year ranges up on the horizon, I am ready to go. I hope you have found some time to invest in the ‘writes of summer.’

Comments

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: